SUSTAINABILITY LEADERSHIP MASTERCLASS
London, United Kingdom
Mastering Public Policy and Executive Leadership
Five Day Intensive Workshop
London – United Kingdom
Prof. Ronald McQuaid, Professor of Work and Employment, University of Stirling, UK
Prof. John Adams, Professor of Economics and Former Director of the China-EU Research Centre, UK
Mohamed Elhag, Managing Director P3 Transform, UK
Prof. Allam Ahmed, Professor of Knowledge Management and Sustainable Development and President WASD
This integrative workshop aims to develop a deeper understanding of the theoretical and practical aspects to public policy and executive leadership, and to develop the essential skills and competencies necessary to plan, monitor and formulate public policy. The Masterclass has been designed to introduce a variety of fundamental perspectives on public policy analysis and formulation as well as executive leadership tools and techniques.
Executive leadership in 21st Century at all levels is becoming increasingly dynamic and complex. The masterclass aims to discuss and explore the various approaches and different ways that can contribute to policy analysis, formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation. It will also provoke forward thinking on developing new methods and approaches to suit the challenges and opportunities of this new era of digital revolution. These new approaches call for actions to create different appropriate ways of doing things and of doing new things that will be essential to solve our future problems and challenges. The masterclass will therefore helps participants to understand how the policy process works and develop the skills required to provide practical policy advice to relevant stakeholders.
According to the recent report by JIU 2019 titled “Strengthening the policy research uptake in service of the 2030 Agenda for sustainable development”, achieving the 17 SDGs of the 2030 Agenda requires evidence-based policies and planning at every level; therefore the programme will also include substantial components on evidence-based research and policy planning. Moreover, in addition the masterclass will also examine the role of the private sector together with the public sector (please refer to the United Nations Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) 2018 report on the Role of Public Private Partnerships (PPPs) in the Implementation of Agenda 2030 for more details and recommendations). Both the public and private sector organisations are confronted by environmental factors such as economic, political, sociological, technological, and legal challenges. The need for leaders at all levels to successfully meet these challenges requires a comprehensive appreciation and understanding of their roles, goals and the expected competencies.
Benefits for employers
- Understand evolving systematic approach to policy analysis and formulation.
- Describe the nature, significance and characteristics of each stage of the policy process (i.e. agenda setting, formulation, adoption, implementation and evaluation) and explain the various influences on each stage.
- The opportunity for employers to showcase their role in different stages and levels during the process of policy formulation.
- After completion of the masterclass, participants (supported by their tutor) will be required to write a report describing what they have learnt and what is particularly relevant to their employers. They will be given the choice to focus on one single perspective or to build a hybrid model that will help their employers to achieve their strategic and tactical goals. This will help reassure the employers of the benefits of the programme and help consolidate managers’ understanding.
- The programme will be facilitated by the best experts from all over the world; it will provide participants within the public and private sectors with the best scientific and management solutions to implement effective public policy in their organisations.
- There will be an activity or set of activities for each session. These will be designed to help you engage with the introduction to the theories explored within the masterclass.
- Your tutor will be on hand to guide you through the programme and will expect you to bring personal experience and reflection on the topics covered.
- Group work will be required for participants to engage in the programme. Such activity allows participants to embed the new knowledge within their experience through active discussion and challenge.
- The masterclass covers materials for all levels from supervisory through to senior level.
- Government officials: minsters, undersecretaries, directors, etc.
- Private sector: CEOs, managers and directors responsible for transformation, project, programme, performance, excellence, knowledge, innovation or change management.
- Experienced managers who have significant futures oriented management responsibilities, and who are interested in reflecting on their own experience and discovering new ideas.
- Academics including vice chancellors, deans, heads of departments, researchers and students who are interested in leadership and in being part of an engaging educational experience that explore the challenges and opportunities that face organizations.
- Youth, NGOs (voluntary) and civil society groups (public).
- Professionals, SMEs, Start-ups and other stakeholders.
Included in the workshop fee, the following learning materials will be provided:
- Admission to all sessions including all coffee/tea breaks and lunches.
- All overhead slides.
- Case studies (print and video).
- Certificate of attendance.
To register for the workshop please contact Reem Elhussien at: firstname.lastname@example.org.